June 2018 Postcard Campaign:
UPDATED: The Senate Farm Bill is here on June 13th! The time to call and write is June 13th-June 20th!
Let Senator Cassidy know how you feel about our local farms and everyone's right to good food in the next Farm Bill!
Postcards sent en masse throughout the month of June (New Orleans Eat Local Month) will deliver a message of hope and encouragement from farmers, agricultural and food stakeholders, and regular citizens (we all eat). If you are in support of food-farmers and food-eaters in Louisiana, you can advocate for them.
The Farm Bill impacts our food system because it determines how federal money is spent on farming and food access programs. These are a few groups and programs that are specifically relevant to the Louisiana and New Orleans food systems:
- Urban farmers
- Young and new farmers
- Nutrition/food assistance to low-income households
- Local food marketing and promotion programs that provide benefits to farmer and consumer through fresh food marketplaces
- Small farmers growing food crops sold into local market; they use conservation programs, micro-loan programs, and value-added producer grants to grow their farms into strong, sustainable businesses.
How can you write an effective postcard?
- Check the sidebar for resources and facts for inspiration
- Keep postcard message simple: choose one topic you want to be heard about, and support it with 1-2 personal details or facts about Louisiana’s food system
- It's okay to write many postcards for many thoughts!
- Include your address so Sen. Cassidy knows you are a Louisiana constituent
- Try to use a postcard from Louisiana to show state pride and add relevance
- Mail it by June 21st (to ensure June delivery) to the nearest office, or to Senator Cassidy's D.C. headquarters
Senator Cassidy: (202) 224-5824
Senator Kennedy: 202-224-4623
Our work is made possible by the generous support of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.